Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ready for Halloween

As Halloween approaches I get melancholy because my sons are all grown up and we don't set up the driveway the way we used to when we loved to scare all the kids.
One of my favorite years was when we made the trick or treaters come all the way up the driveway to get their candy. I had ghosts that would pop up out of the woods and light up, I had a tape recorder playing scary sounds, and the best part of all was when the kids got to the top of the driveway and they would approach the table I was sitting at in my gorilla costume. I had a bright light shining in their eyes so they couldn't see my son in the woods getting ready to swoop over them on a rope swing. He had a cape on and a sword in his hand and he would swoop right over their heads. One girl screamed so loud I thought she was going to go into cardiac arrest. It was fun, but now we just put the candy down at the gate in a bowl and say "Take One Please" There aren't really any kids left in our neighborhood so we just stay up at the house and eat some of the candy ourselves.
Oh well, I still like to carve pumpkins and the more intricate the better.

This one took me at least 2 hours with scooping out the seeds and all. I am afraid to put it out at my mailbox too early because we have a few destructive kids in the neighborhood so I'll just wait until Halloween night.
Does anyone else like carving pumpkins ?????

No comments:

Post a Comment